lauraadriana94801

The Tipsybibliophile

I love cheap and tasty wine, reading stories about men falling in love and making good food…Here is where I mix all three.

Moon Called
Pretty Shade of Grey
A.D. Truax
Sursein Judgment
Jet Mykles
Outtakes of A Walking Mistake - Anthony Paull Meet Tyler Morris, 16. Mr. Morris is braving the halls of Rivershore High School, with determination, a wicked sense of humor, and hope in his heart. His hope is that an adorable (and now 24 pounds lighter), witty gay boy like himself can find true love, even if it means that he has to take matters into his own hands. And he's got his eye on Billy Greske, star of the High School Drama club and walking teenage wet dream.

The problem is Billy doesn't see Tyler. Tyler "the school gay" is invisible. His claim to fame being that his mom literally ran off with the circus, doesn't help. It's just him and his best friend Jenny "the school slut". Trying to survive the trials and tribulations of high school life.

Getting to know Tyler was a delight. I loved that kid.

This book was not perfect. But it was so charming and funny. Tyler's voice was completely disarming. He's so irreverent and honest. He just wants to be seen, to be held, to be talked to, touched. He just wants to be cared about and to not be lonely anymore. He broke my heart so many times, he was so nakedly sincere in his longing. I just wanted to give him a hug and tell him, "High School won't last forever, you will be okay!".

This story has some very tough moments, that boldly went into just how vulnerable young people are in their teens. The dangers that are everywhere, out in the world and even in the home. The world can make you broken at 16, in ways that leave permanent scars. There are very hard moments for Tyler and his friends. But our Tyler is resilient, he wants what he feels he deserves and even if it means some loneliness now, he won't settle for less.

I really loved the humor in this book. Tyler was sharp and SOOOOOO funny. He is worth getting to know. So is his friend Jenny. Actually, all of the characters in this book were pretty fantastic.

There a few things here and there that could have been better. In some places the story went a bit long, and there were a lot of typos. But it is still an exceptional debut novel. Mr. Paull is on my radar, I loved his style. I hope he has more for us soon.

Certainly recommend.