lauraadriana94801

The Tipsybibliophile

I love cheap and tasty wine, reading stories about men falling in love and making good food…Here is where I mix all three.

Moon Called
Pretty Shade of Grey
A.D. Truax
Sursein Judgment
Jet Mykles
Omorphi - C. Kennedy I stopped reading at about 22%. This book I think could have been a lot better for me if any editing would have actually happened. There was way too much going, of going on and on and on... The subject matter at the heart of this book is very very delicate, and the tone of the book seemed almost counterintuitive. Like I was being "told" that it was serious, but what has happenening didn't make me "feel" like it was.

The characters' voices where also hard for me to connect with, and I was having a hard time with some of the vernacular and the repetitiveness. I just felt there was too much of too much.

Better editing would have gotten this book to be a much more solid read. There was a lot of good stuff in there, but it was bogged down. I have an issue with books for young adults that are, for lack of a better word, too "bubbly." Young people in my experience are sophisticated enough to appreciate a subject that is heavy and difficult with maturity and sobreity. So consistency and coherence are important, heavy books, should BE heavy if they need to be. I'm not sure how to explain this, but I just felt that I was getting mixed signals.

Anyways, I was looking forward to this, and it just didn't work for me. It is getting high reviews,so that is not the case for everyone, which is a good thing.

I get a lot out of books that approach these kinds of subjects, for now Crush by Laura Susan Johnson remains the best book I've read on recovering from the crippling trauma of extended sexual and physical abuse.

I will still be on the lookout for more from this author and I hope in the future his editors help him shear of the excess so that his stories can shine.